Musee d’Orsay Paris
Musee d’Orsay, originally designed by Gare d’Orsay, Victor Laloux, is located opposite the Tuileries Gardens, on the left bank of the Seine River, with an area with a train station and hotel. In 1900, when the building was completed as a railway station, it boasted a design that boasted architectural authenticity. The use of special in-house metal constructions, passenger elevators and electric rails ensure a different atmosphere.
But improvements in railway technology led to the passing of the building’s new materials in the 1970s. The negotiations to transform the building into an art museum were concluded in 1977 by President Valéry Giscard d’Estaing. The tender was concluded in the early 1980s with the undertaking of the ACT architectural group. Interior design was made by architect Gaetana Aulenti. The complex gallery scheme was divided into three main levels surrounding the atrium below the building’s iconic glass dome. The train platforms on the floor, wide stone structures and cavernous space were distributed to create a wide area for painting and decorative arts and sculpture collection.
In order to be able to turn Gare d’Orsay into a museum, a decree for the selection of works from national collections was organized. The new Pompidou Center moved to the Palais de Tokyo building for that year. Modern artworks that did not fit into the National Museum were classified. The Jeu de Paume museum, which has an impressionist collection of France, and the Louvre Museum were officially submitted to select paintings and sculptures from the 19th century halls.
The collection of paintings and sculptures of Musée d’Orsay was created with the contributions of these three institutions. The museum also began to create a collection of photographs aimed at offering a complex and comprehensive overview of the 19th and 20th centuries. When the museum was opened in 1986, Courbet brought together realistic trends and provided the opportunity to watch the works of Manet (Olympia 1863) and William Bouguereau (Venus 1879) together (1849-50 in Ornans).
With ease of movement, security, impressionist galleries and cafes, the Orsay Museum has become one of Paris’s most visited museums with an annual three million visitors.
62, rue de Lille
75343 Paris Cedex 07 France
open from 9.30am to 6pm daily
Musee d’Orsay | paintings in chronological order
1876 – 1900
1901 – 1925