National Gallery of Armenia Yerevan
The National Gallery of Armenia is the largest art museum in Armenia and was founded in 1921 by the decision of the Soviet Armenian Government, as the Art Department, one of the five departments of the State Museum. The museum building also housed the public library and concert hall. The building also served as a shelter for the orphans who emigrated from Western Armenia. For this reason, the museum did not hold exhibitions for the first four years after it was opened. Due to the lack of exhibitions, upon his visit to Armenia in 1924 A. Lunacharsky voiced his displeasure with the museum, comparing it with a big motley storeroom.
The Armenian art section presents the development of fine and decorative arts from the 6th to the 20th centuries. The exposition of Armenian classical art presents copies and originals of medieval frescoes and miniatures. In this section you can also see rare examples of medieval paintings and copies of miniatures belonging to the brush of Toros Roslin, Sarkis Pitsak, Grigor Tatevatsi, which were transferred to the gallery as valuable works of art.
In 1923 the People’s Commissar of Education Askanaz Mravian turned to the French-Armenian painters, asking them to help the museum to the best of their ability. His call for help received an enthusiastic response from V. Mahokian, Z. Zardarian, T. Yesayan, S. Khachatrian, R. Chichmanian and others, who by 1935 had donated a total of 40 works to the museum. Among grantor-benefactors of the first decade of the museum’s activity were painters M. Sarian, Y. Tadevosian, P. Terlemezian, V. Gayfejian, collectors V. Vahanian, D. Khan-Kelekian, V. Kananian. Donations also included the works of renowned Russian painters Al. Benois, A. Ostroumova-Lebedeva, Y. Lansere, who granted their own works to the gallery. Later on, thanks to Isaac Brodsky’s donation to the museum, the collection of Russian art was enriched with the works of world-famous 20th century artists K. Juon, B. Grigoriev, B. Anisfeld and F. Malyavin.
Armenia, 0010, Yerevan
Arami St., 1 Building
Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun (11:00-17:30)
• +374-10-580812 , +374-10-567472
National Gallery of Armenia Yerevan | paintings in chronological order
1826 – 1850
1851 – 1875
1876 – 1900