Palais des Beaux-Arts de Lille
The Palais des Beaux-Arts de Lille ranks as one of the finest museums in France, after the Louvre. Its imposing 19th-century building rises up behind the jets of a superb fountain that splashes around Eugene Dodeigne’s famous sculpture, “Groupe des Trois”.
The museum opened in 1809 and was initially housed in a church confiscated from the Récollets before being transferred to the city’s town hall. In 1866, the “musée Wicar”, formed from the collection of Jean-Baptiste Wicar, was merged into the Palais des Beaux-Arts. Construction of the Palais’s current Belle Époque-style building began in 1885 under the direction of Géry Legrand, mayor of Lille, and it was completed in 1892. The architects chosen to design the new building were Edouard Bérard (1843–1912) and Fernand Etienne-Charles Delmas (1852–1933) from Paris. The building is located on the place de la République, in the center of the city, facing the préfecture of Lille. It was renovated during the 1990s and reopened in 1997.
The existing building now combines the old and the new with enormous glass walls which reflect the original building. One of France’s best for its internationally renowned collection, the museum provides an in-depth insight into European artistic movements from the 12th century to today. Works by Ruben rub shoulders with Monet, Donatello echoes Sisley, and Goya’s “Old Women” confronts Fernand Léger’s “Two Women with Blue Vase”!
Place de la République, 59000 Lille, France
OPEN: Mon. 2 pm – 6 pm
Wed. To Sun. 10 am – 6 pm
Closed on Tuesday
Palais des Beaux-Arts de Lille | paintings in chronological order
1851 – 1875