Pitti Palace Florence

Pitti Palace Florence Galleria Uffizi | paintings in chronological order

By editor

Posted in ,

Pitti Palace Florence

The Pitti Palace, which houses several important museums, was built in the second half of the 15th century. Probably on a project of Filippo Brunelleschi for Luca Pitti, but was unfinished at his death in 1472. The original building, formed by two floors and the ground floors. With only five windows on each floor, was purchased in 1550 by Eleonora da Toledo, the wife of the Grand Duke Cosimo I de’Medici, thus becoming the official residence of the family. For this reason it was widened and changed, in 1560 by Bartolomeo Ammannati and at the beginning of the 17th century by Giulio and Alfonso Parigi.

The lather two architects gave the facade its present day aspect, with the only exception of the two lateral projecting pavilions. That were built in the age of the Lorraine family and completed during the first half of the 19th century by Paoletti and Poccianti, who also built the Palazzina della Meridiana, added on to the rear section of the palace Downlooking the garden.

Today

Today the Palace is divided into four museums. The Treasury of the Grand Dukes on the ground floor, the Palatine Gallery and the Royal and Imperial Apartments on the first floor, the Modern Art Gallery and the Museum of Costume and Fashion on the second floor.

The palace underwent expansions and modifications. The most important were made by Bartolomeo Ammannati, who improved the Boboli Gardens and built the magnificent interior courtyard with the monumental steps that had a great luck in the European courts.

Giorgio Vasari built instead the famous Vasari Corridor, which connects even today Palazzo Pitti with Palazzo Vecchio, through the Uffizi Gallery. At the beginning of the nineteenth century Pitti Palace was also the residence of the Bourbon-Parma family and then of Elisa Bonaparte, who ruled over Tuscany for a short period.


Address:

Piazza de’ Pitti 1 – 50125 Firenze, Italy

Period from 01/03 to 31/10 – from 01/11 to 28/02

Opening days From Tuesday to Sunday
Opening hours 08.15 am – 6.50 pm
Closed on Mondays 1 January, 25 December

Pitti Palace Florence | paintings in chronological order

1526 – 1550

Francesco Bacchiacca, Maria Magdalena, 1540/45

Francesco Bacchiacca, Maria Magdalena, 1540/45

1601 -1625

Cristofano Allori, Judith with the Head of Holofernes, 1615

Cristofano Allori, Judith with the Head of Holofernes, 1615

Share this story

btt