Skagens Museum was founded on 20 October 1908 in the dining room at Brøndums Hotel. Among the founders were artists Michael Ancher, P.S. Krøyer and Laurits Tuxen, who were elected to form the first board of governors together with Victor Christian Klæbel, the local pharmacist, and Degn Brøndum, proprietor of Brøndums Hotel and Anna Ancher’s brother. The idea was to collect works by the Skagen Painters and to raise funds for the construction of a building for their exhibition. It was also decided that the Brøndums Hotel’s dining room should, in due time, be transferred to the new museum once it had been built. It had served as an important venue for the members of the artist colony ever since its formation in the 1870s.
The first exhibitions were arranged in the local technical school. After P.S. Krøyer’s death in 1909, his house in Skagen Plantation was used as a temporary venue for the museum.
At the end of 2014, the art museum Skagens Museum and the two house and studio museums Anchers Hus and Drachmanns Hus merged and adopted the name Skagens Kunstmuseer | Art Museums of Skagen. The museum has a collection of more than 9,000 artworks by members of the Scandinavian artists’ colony – the Skagen painters – who lived and worked in the fishing village of Skagen in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Tel. +45 9844 6444
Daily 10AM-5PM. WED 10AM-9PM
Skagens Museum | paintings in chronological order
1876 – 1900