Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister Kassel
The Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister Kassel is a collection belonging to the Museumslandschaft Hessen Kassel and is located in the Schloss Wilhelmshöhe, which is integrated into the Bergpark, which extends below the Hercules monument. The focal points of the collection are the Flemish and Dutch paintings of the 17th century, which can be traced back to the collecting passion of Landgrave Wilhelm VIII of Hessen-Kassel (1751-1760).
The main representatives of the Dutch and Flemish Baroque, such as Rembrandt, Frans Hals, Rubens, Anthonis and Floris van Dyck and Jacob Jordaens, are dedicated to their own rooms. The Rembrandt Hall displays masterpieces by the Dutch painter, such as the Jacobsen and the Saskia, and is unsurpassed in Germany in terms of the number and quality of Rembrandt’s paintings. Of Peter Paul Rubens are among other things the main works Triumph of the winner, the portrait Nicolas de Respaigne, as well as Pan and Syrinx to see. In the Frans Hals-Saal, well-known pictures such as The Man with the Slouch Hat and The Funny Coworker are exhibited. Jan Steen is represented with the oil painting The Bean Festival.
Furthermore, paintings of Italian, Spanish and French paintings are presented, including major works by Titian, Murillo and Vouets. Titian’s portrait of a general, Giampietrino Leda with her children, and Antonio Bellucci, The Sick King’s son, are on display. A rather small part of the collection are the Old German and Old Dutch painting, but can convince by their quality, including Dürer’s portrait of Elsbeth Tucher, Hans Baldungs Hercules and Antaeus and works by Jan Gossaert and Maarten van Heemskerck.
The period of the most intense collecting activity was between 1748 and 1756, when Landgrave William VIII had about 800 paintings purchased in Holland, Paris, Brussels, Antwerp, Venice and Germany by his diplomats and art agents. 1749 – 51 a separate gallery building was built for the collection behind the palace of the Landgrave between Auehang and Frankfurter Straße. In 1877, the paintings moved to the newly constructed building of today’s Neue Galerie at the Schöne Aussicht, where they remained until the outbreak of the Second World War. Since 1974 the Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister has been located in Schloss Wilhelmshöhe.
Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister Kassel | paintings in chronological order
1501 – 1525